On Thursday we’ll be hosting our fourth Seedcamp Tel Aviv event. This year we have chosen to work closer with lool ventures as our Israeli partner and will be investing in any winners jointly with them.
The lool team headed by Yaniv and Avichay are well rooted in the vibrant Israeli scene, and their deep involvement with the entrepreneurs they partner is a profound component in their investment process, which is well aligned with the Seedcamp approach. We are delighted to be welcomed back by Afeka College who have generously loaned us their fantastic event space, and to have The Windows Azure Accelerator as our local sponsors.
The region has developed impressively since we first visited in 2009. This is most quantifiable in the huge surge in mentors – all industry leaders who are keen to give up a day of their time to meet and mentor some of Europe’s most exciting startups. We’re proud to have 90 mentors for this year’s event.
Applications have also seen a surge in quality. We received applications from over 18 countries ranging as far as the USA and Australia. Last year we selected 14 teams; this year, as quality has been so high, we’re very happy to announce that we’ve selected 18 fantastic teams. We are delighted that there is a stronger international demand to participate in a Tel-Aviv-based event, proving that Israel is a key location for startup activities, with teams travelling in from Latvia, Hungary and Slovakia to attend.
So, without further ado, please meet the 2012 Tel Aviv teams.
- Antavo, Szeged, Hungary – is web-based marketing software to build promotions with the vision of behavioural tracking
- Apppointment, Limassol, Cyprus – CRM solution for micro-small businesses providing a Customer Acquisition, Retention and Reward system through Facebook
- BUKIT, Modi’in, Israel – An online marketplace for settling debts at a discount
- Factmeme, Bet Shemesh, Israel – is an infinite list of well-organized, structured short facts
- frogfoot, Bratislava, Slovakia – Developing a cool and safe place for the youngest Internet users
- HocSpot, Herzeliya, Israel – enables people to instantly share files and links with anyone at their physical location
- Magazen, Riga, Latvia – A complete publishing platform for a new kind of magazine
- MediSafe, Haifa, Israel – Introducing an exciting, safer & easier way to consume medication
- Mijits Media, The Coast, Israel – mijitTV, a self-service custom player, transforms YouTube videos into show-reels, playlists and personal television stations
- Parallel Universe, Tel Aviv, Israel – SpaceBase is a NoSQL datastore for real-time spatial data in MMOs, military systems and LBSs
- Parko, Tel Aviv, Israel – solves the pain that drivers feel when they circle the blocks looking for parking
- Pricing Agent, Madrid, Spain – allows hotels to forecast their future occupancy rate for a certain price level
- Roomer, Herzilya, Isreal – is a marketplace for hotel room reservations. Can’t make it? Sell your room on ROOMER
- Sezion, Madrid, Spain – An app you and others can use to easily record music together and share it online
- SOStravelers, Beit Halevi, Israel – Service for stranded travellers based upon real time web, social media, travel agents available 24×7
- Star3DMe.com, Jerusalem, Israel – Star3DMe gets people watching commercials again, by making them the stars of game-mercials
- Stix, Tel Aviv, Israel – Turn your single player game into a multiplayer experience
- YaLa – Leaders is an online, Facebook-based movement dedicated to empowering young Middle Easterners to lead their generation to a better future
Once again our gratitude goes out to our local sponsor The Microsoft Azure Accelerator, which is a four-month programme aimed at helping early stage startups doing big things in Cloud, Internet, and mobile. Microsoft will provide the best workspace, top mentors, and all the tools needed to create the most successful startup.